Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rough Draft I / Thesis-Driven Essay: Observation On Education (paper II)

Michelle L. Jones
Dr. Sonia Begert
English 99
18 July 2011
     An Outstanding Teacher
     When Mrs. Montgomery was the sixth grade teacher at MacDonald Elementary, she was know as one of the school districts most outstanding teachers. She was accredited for her teaching skills because she was able to help her students set and meet goals, made learning fun and interesting, was an advocate for children’s self-esteem, always there for her students, and promoted life long learning that would follow students into adulthood.
     "We are the only ones responsible for our futures!", said Mrs. Montgomery as she helped us set and meet our goals. Often she would remind us that our goals should be set in small steps, this way we would be sure to succeed each one. She helped her students stay focused and emphasized her wisdom as she kept us mindful of our choices we would make that would reflect our futures. In the beginning of school year, she would have us write our goals down on a sheet of paper. Along with that, she would have us write a letter to ourselves. As we worked toward meeting our goals through the school year, she would walk and coach us, when needed every step of the way. During the summer she would mail the letters and your goal lists to you that she had you write the beginning of the school year. Being able to see all your accomplishments you achieved, prepared and empowered you for the next school year. As I sit here as an adult, I see all my educational achievements and owe a lot of my successions to Mrs. Montgomery for her dedication of being an outstanding teacher.
     I am sure we have all encountered “Boredom” of learning in the classroom, I know I sure had, until I met Mrs. Montgomery. She had the art of sparking imagination in all her students. No matter what subject, she opened creativity, and she always made sure it was fun and interesting.
     Our favorite history project our sixth grade year was learning different cultures of countries around the world. Mrs. Montgomery called it, “Dinner Around The World” and each group of students was assigned a country in which we had to prepare week long projects. Each group was to write a report and transform their school desks into the “Customs Booth” for their our assigned country. The table was to be displayed with the country’s flag, facts, and chart of statistics. On Friday, all groups were to bring in a special food dish to share with the class, that their country was known for. Since our group was assigned Sweden, our special food dish that my mom helped us make was Swedish meatballs.
     The next day our classroom looked like a International tourist trap. The aroma of food from American, Italian, Mexican, to Chinese filled the air and down the hallways. Our pretend passports were stamped at every customs booth and by the end of our day long adventure, we chased Leprechauns in Ireland, walked the Great Wall of China, danced the Polka in Poland, rowed in the Gondola down the Grand Canal of Venice in Italy, celebrated the Cinco de Mayo in Mexico, ran with the bulls in Spain, had tea and crumpets with the Queen of England, and toured The Eiffel Tower in Paris, France. By the time we arrived back in the United States, it was time to clean up and head home for the weekend.
     Along with the fun and exciting times, Mrs. Montgomery also had her serious side too. She was an advocate for children’s self-esteem and she believed that teachers played a major role in this development of a child. Mrs. Montgomery took pride in watching her students achieve. No matter if it was big or small, she would let you know how proud she was of you. When there were failures, she would encourage us to pick ourselves up and try again. To make us feel better, she would slip in a triumph or failure of her own, to let us know that if she made it this far she knew we could go even further. She had passion, encouragement, and a gentle way of helping everyone out in their own special way.
     Mrs. Montgomery was an inspiration to all her students. She always treated us as if we were her own children. Her love and compassion showed true in all she did for us. One of the very first things I remember her telling our sixth grade class was, “No matter what, I will always be here for you.”, and she held true to her word.
     For me, she has been there since my first day of arriving at MacDonald Elementary. She was my Science and English teacher for fifth grade as well. Knowing I had to repeat the fifth grade and having previous educational challenges, she knew of my frustrations and sadness. No matter what, she would always arrange special one on one time for me, as she did for all her students, when needed.
     Although 17 years has passed since I have communicated with Mrs. Montgomery, she has promoted life long learning that has followed me into adulthood. She would always tell our class that no matter what challenges come our way in life, to stay positive and you will be able to find the good out of any bad situation, and she also instilled in us that no matter how old you are, you are never to old to learn new things. For me this has been two, true statements that I am teaching to my own children today.
     I often wonder what she would say of my many accomplishments. I continue to find the good out of the many bad situations that have come my way. I have made my lemonade with the lemons God has given me. To talk to her today, she would be especially proud of me for coming back to school. She was right, you are never to old to learn new things. Not going to college right out of high school is my only regret in life, but I am sure proud of my decision to come back now. I have her to thank for my many accomplishments along the way, because she was an outstanding teacher, I have the encouragement and ability to succeed all the way to my college degree as a “Medical Assistant.”

3 comments:

  1. She sounds like an excellent teacher, especially since what she taught you is still with you and you still use it. That is awesome. I wish I had a teacher like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is like my teacher Mrs. Quam! exactly like that. Mrs. Quam always taught me good morals, and gave me good pep talks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a teacher like that is very important unfortunately there are not very many out there like that any more. I am glad you had a wonderful experience with what sounds like a great teacher!!! Nice job on your paper.

    ReplyDelete