Thursday, July 7, 2011

My First Paper Assignment on "My Literacy Narrative"

Numerous events have happened in my life….. I thought about writing about the time my Grandma Grace spent the day teaching me how to bake her famous, homemade apple pie. I can remember that day like it was yesterday and can still smell the warm cinnamon as the pie came out of the oven.

However, I have decided to write about an experience that impacted my entire life. The problems started back in my 3rd grade year. It continued to worsen and by the time I reached 5th grade, it would be the event that played the biggest part of who I am today.

I struggled with reading comprehension in school and I could not get my teachers to listen to me. They found it way more important to spend extra time with the enrichment students. When I would ask for help, they would treat me horribly and sent me for evaluations. They even went as far as telling my parents that I was mentally handicapped and sent me for evaluations at the mental health clinics.

It was Christmas break and I remember having to go to this Doctor evaluation. I was devastated! I just needed someone to help me with my reading. The only person I could get to listen to me was my grandma, this eventually was a huge eye opener for my parents.

That 5th grade year I was pulled out of Fairview Elementary School, placed in MacDonald Elementary in downtown, received A’s & B’s and continued on through Jr. & Sr. high school. I graduated top 20 of my class of 1994.

I am a big promoter of boosting children’s self esteem because it truly does play a huge part in who they become.

No comments:

Post a Comment