Monday, July 18, 2011

From Zami: "A New Spelling of My Name" by Audre Lordee

Well - Sister Mary of Perpetual Help sound like she is related to the "Wicked Witch" of Fairview Elementary and her evil twin sister in so many way. This is another fine example of how a teacher can crush a child's self-esteem. I read the thesis statement and feel she is the second kind of educator I referred to in my Literacy Narrative.

This evening while doing my homework, I read this allowed to mom my - who also attended a Catholic School. She said that if you have never been to a Catholic School, to stand clear in all directions because the nuns are just as Audre Lorde describes. In "A New Spelling of My Name" I made a list of the poor teaching structures and punishments that Sister MPH had as a teacher:

~gives kids the strap
~made judgement on children using racial / color usage
~divided children by their abilities "Fairies and Brownies"
~labeled children
~downgraded / belittled children
~made them wear a dunce cap
~made fun of her in front of the other students

Just as I mentioned in my Literacy Narrative, along with parents and grandparents, teachers are also our earliest influences. 

3 comments:

  1. Home run! I thought the very same thing after I read this essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! i can't believe your mom went through basically the same thing that's so sad:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom has me laughing so hard telling me the stories. The story about the nun losing her marbles was priceless. She and her 7 siblings attended Catholic school for elementary school, and she said it was not a very nice place to be.

    ReplyDelete