Friday, July 8, 2011

Learning Beyond Formal Education

December 13, 2005 my husband became ill. It was a life changing event for my family and I. I went from a housewife / stay - at - home mom to a full time employee, and a caregiver / nurse for my husband.

There have been countless hours of caring for him, changing bandages, traveling for medical trips and then came the hardest task of all.... giving my husband three shots. This is my accomplishment of learning beyond formal education.

The doctor asked me to come to the office for the afternoon and a nurse in between patience showed me the ropes. Out came all the supplies and when she popped the top off that needle, I thought there is no way I am going to be able to give him shots with that. It was no diabetic needle, these needles had to get in the muscles of his legs. I was so scared.  I accomplished what I went there for.....   I joked with my husband, "Now if you make me really mad, I will be able to give you these three shots really quick." It felt so good to laugh together! I became really good at this, and just having that feeling knowing that I was finally being able to help him was Heaven sent to me.

That is why I am here at Olympic Community College today. I thanked Kenny, even though his illness is a horrible situation and I want him better more than anything in the whole world - but if it were not for his illness and my experience with the nurse that day, I would not have set out this new goal to become a Medical Assist to help other people. It is truly a wonderful feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment