Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Literacy Narrative Commentary

After reading the Literacy Narrative by Shannon Nichols "Proficiency" it hit home.  Growing up in Ohio, I too had the same problem with my proficiency test and it was VERY frustrating. It wasn't until 1994 that the State of Ohio started using proficiency testing for high school students and graduation qualifications. It is very discouraging! It wasn't until my last try that I past as well. I graduated - by the skin of my nose that is. I don't agree with the proficiency tests and the amount of stress it puts on children. I realize that there are rules, but just like Shannon Nichols wrote in her Narrative, you could never get any explanations on where you went wrong so you could better yourself for next time. To me... it was like playing the lottery!

On a brighter note, the handout on the Literacy Narrative is a great topic.... It has me brainstorming for my own topics to write about. I am very excited to share an event that happened in my life regarding reading / writing.

Growing up I would write poems, I have written a few childrens stories, and my passion for writing continues. Living so far away from family in Ohio, I now have a family blog that I write to share events and happenings on our family website. These steps given will come in handy - helping us overcome writers block as well.  I find I run into this problem sometimes.

After reading about Literacy Narrative and the steps to appeal to the readers eye -  it gives me gives me a new vision in writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment