Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Reactions to Michael Moore's "Idiot Nation"

I wrote everything I wanted to about my opinion on this article, I think I would end up with my blog quota. However after reading Michael Moore's excerpt "Idiot Nation", I found the researched statistics on education were very interesting, as well as, very sad.

It is the ignorance of America for focusing on useless information vs. learning things that truly matters. I also agree that our government wastes valuable funds and time, they kept taking away from our children s education. For example, the facts given in the 11th paragraph on page 1, "What kind of priority do we place on education in America?"

Another fine example was the proposed cuts made in the U.S. Libraries. Books are the foundation of learning. Over time it continues to worsen and what percentage will it be when our children sit in college reading current education cut backs. 

It's a shame that our government can't back education like companies do. Although it doesn't seem like much, at least is it nothing at all. What a fine example given, stating that these various companies are giving back what our education what the government is taking away. Why can't our government care as much. They have created a pay it forward and incentive program for the children. It isn't hard nor does it take rocket science to see the important of education.

I also think it would be "Dinner & a Movie" to have the Congress have a pop quiz given to them. I agree with what he says, stating that they probably wouldn't know much. They stress and hold these tests over our children's head for standardized testing. They only focus on reading and math. For instance this past school year, our daughter, Helena, was having reading comprehension problems and math difficulties. To make up and get her help, she was put in a class for extra help. However these classes fell at the same time as History or Science. It wasn't just our daughter, you should see the amount of children. To sum it all up, Helena didn't get History or Science this year. They said Reading and math was more important and it would be revisited in 7th grade. I totally disagree!

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you and most of the excerpt from Michael Moore. It is truly sad what some of the educational systems have become in America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. There is definitely room for change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of you guys. This short story was quite an eye opener, and kind of embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing that things are so bad. I agree with you and most of Moore's writing. It is really sad what things have come to.

    ReplyDelete