Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mike Rose "I Just Want To Be Average" Part 2

     After reading Part 2 of “I Just Want to Be Average" by Mike Rose, he illustrates what the teachers were like that he encountered were like while going to school. It is in my opinion that Mike Rose received a “Labeled” education and was being taught per his environment/culture. Mike learned from other people on his block, played with a chemistry set, etc. He also learned from having "boredom" within learning of the classroom and as many people learn - from his father's ailing health. But things would eventually turn around for him.

     Mike Rose talked about two teachers that were a big part of his education: Mr. Clint and Mr. MacFarland. It wasn't until the end Mike Rose had to struggled a little more, until Prof. MacFarland came into his life - as Mr. Rose said in Part 2, "Jack MacFarland couldn't have come into my life at a better time." MacFarland was a mixture of Mr. Escalante and Mr. Keating all wrapped into one. He had hooked Mike Rose, giving him a spark of creativity back to Mike's reading and story creations. He made Mike feel special by using his own thoughts and was a role model that is described as "wasn't shaped on physical prowess alone." Just like Mr. Keating, he had the respect from his students and didn't have to earn it. MacFarland encouraged Mike about college. "Listen, you can write." He too was an advocate for self esteem for his students; he helped his students strive to be all that they could be. Mike Rose, at that time in his life, admired Mr. MacFarland and felt like he could talk to his teacher about anything.

     When you experience an education such Mike Rose, you can't even begin to understand. I feel that Part 2 was very touching and it showed how he struggled and struggled, but had a compelling experience in the end. His past teachers were only will to give him what we will call a street education. But then MacFarland steps into his life and makes change for the good. I have experienced a “Labeled” education and at no fault of my own. Being judged for someone I was not, the teachers only being there for a paycheck vs. dedication to the students. But one day Mrs. Montgomery walked into my life, just as MacFarland walked into Mike's life. Life is full of experience, except I wish no one would have to experience a "Labeled Education". It structures you for who you become in life. Mike Rose made similar realizations in that he decides what his contribution is going to be - writing.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. Life is full of experiences. I can't imagine being in his situation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I love writing and I am also enjoying this class very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was intesting that his english teacher became Mike Roses' "hero" so to speak.

    ReplyDelete